This is just dandy.
So my dentist made this Thing for me that's intended to alleviate that pesky teeth grinding problem. (There's also something about getting my jaw to close the way it wants to close, though I don't understand why sticking something in between my teeth does that.)
I get to wear it for an entire week, although I am permitted no more than twenty minutes at a time to eat, and then it's just a nighttime thing. It's not really painful, although it tends to make my teeth sore, and my tongue does not like it one bit. What's driving me crazy is trying to talk. You try talking with a plastic thing fitted to your top teeth, thick enough to keep your teeth well and truly separated.
It's also wrecking havoc on my snacking habits.
Last night we finally managed to see The New World, the new Pocahontas movie (although her name never
is spoken in the film). It's good, but be warned that this movie is
not in a hurry. It's pace is positively leisurely. There's lots of pretty nature, and some pretty people, and very, very little dialogue. The general historical feel is pretty accurate, some of the details (and possibly some of the characterizations) are not. But it's a story we really know little about, so there's plenty of room for license without trashing history. (You can't trash it if we don't know it.)
My general opinion is that it's very pretty (special film and all), definitely worth watching, and in some ways very convenient. (It's positively uncanny how handily Christian Bale shows up as soon as Colin Farrell is out of the way, and vice versa. So there's always someone I enjoy watching around.) I'm not sure
they're sure how they're playing the story, though, which irritates me. I like to know what I'm dealing with, and when you convey most of your story without anyone saying anything, some confusion is inevitable.
I have a spoiler. My personal theory on how Pocahontas resolved her love life. Look for it below, as soon as I remember what my spoiler class is.
She likes John Smith because he doesn't try to talk to her very often, but when they reunite he actually tries to have a conversation (the horror!), and she figures if she has to put up with a guy who talks, she might as well have John Rolfe, since at least he washes his hair. And doesn't have an impossible Irish accent, either. For some unknown reason, my paint jeans only get paint on the right leg. It have no idea why. It seems to be some inexplicable rule of painting.