Virtual Dust
Virtual Dust


Salli's Messy Little Blog (Guaranteed 100% Non-allergenic)

Tuesday, October 11, 2005
I wonder if Sarah would redo my blog for me...
I generally enjoy doing that sort of thing myself (doing it oneself being half the point), but even starting that project is approximately item 37 on my Easing Back Into Things Online list, and in the meantime I'm getting tired of looking at the old layout.

I suppose I could just switch to a default layout, but I have philosophical issues with that.

So, rather than actually post anything of substance, I need some brainstorming help. I have this storyline/world/set of characters going that really needs a bigger cast. (It has enough of a cast for where it is now, and I generally let these things happen as they happen, but the magic system requires a set that is not complete, and it's driving me crazy.) In particular, I need ideas for sorcerous specialties. The general premise being that there are a handful of Sorcerers (capitalization is important) forming a particular group. They don't mix with the rest of the world much, so of course the point of the story is what happens when they do.

Now, meeting more than four or five of them probably wouldn't happen until at least book two, and I'm not even close to being there with the story, but there ought to be seven or nine specialties at least, and not being able to have a neat list is irritating. The catch is that the specialities have to be unusual - elements are right out - so that I can play with them in interesting ways. (Which is ultimately the point.) Or, if they sound typical, I can interpret them in interesting ways so that they really aren't. My primary character is the Sorceress of Seasons, which just sounds cool, and is lots of fun to play with. There's someone for shadow (a perennial favorite of mine) and time (notable because no one ever has any idea when it operates) and probably fate (this particular story being heavy on enigma). Possibly light, in the sense of manipulating actual light, not light v. darkness.

Brainstorming of any sort would be appreciated. (Heck, I can even use whole characters. Or name someone after you. Anything. Help!) Generally what I do is make lists of ideas, and pull what I like. The trouble here is that my list has dried up. I generally add about one character a month, and at this rate I'll be lucky to be finished by Easter.

Question of the day: Why can't Shirley share the choir anthem for the bulletin on Monday? Or even Tuesday morning? It's not like she doesn't have it planned, and it is such a pain not knowing how much text there is going to be.

~Erin, 3:26 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


Salli's most recent mood

Quick Links:
Sarah - Jeni
Kat - Rayne
Heather - Eri


ice shadow flower by Sarah
This page is powered by Blogger. Is yours?