And now for something random.Not that my posts aren't pretty random, anyway.I've been cleaning pretty much all day. Finding all the tissues and socks that ended up places they weren't supposed to, washing clothing and sheets, and santizing pretty much everrything. Plus things get rather cluttered during the week, when I'm only home in the evening when it is dark, and I can't tell it's getting messy. So I thought I'd straighten out my videos.I record a lot of television, because I'm impatient and I don't think watching commercials. Also I like something playing, so that it isn't so quite when I'm the only when in this part of the house, and I can't hear my brother's stuff when I'm not the only one in this part of the house. Plus there's all the stuff I laboriously recorded for Sarah, before she told me she'd found a way to watch it herself.Anyway, I determined that I had four hours of Sci-fi's new Battestar Galactica series sitting around in various places, unseen and waiting to be dealt with. I watched the show when it first came out, partially to see if it was any good, partially because it was on, and partially because the channel's aggravatingly repetetive ads tend to make me think I'm planning to watch something even when I'm not. It isn't bad. Not great, but I figure I'd better enjoy decent science fiction programing while I can, out of loyalty if nothing else.So why four hours I haven't watched? I record something almost every day, and watch it either that day or the next. The problem with this show, I think, is that it tacks itself so darn seriously. I mean, it's an over-the-top science ficiton show, not deathless drama. Only no one told them that. They spend an inordinate amount of time just beng serious. Ominous music, dark settings, people staring at each other. It's dangerous for sci-fi to take itself so seriously. When it's all in good fun, mistakes and gaps in logic (probably inevitable in a TV show) get swept away in that fun. When it's terribly important and serious, situations fall flat if they don't make sense. It is awfully fun to make fun of, though. ~Erin, 6:36 PM Comments: Post a Comment