It's that time of year. Oscar season, that is. Which means we're trying to get in all the movies we can. (It's also that time of month. Nevermind that, though.) It's only now becoming possible to see some things locally, thanks to nominations. And of course some are only now coming into wide release. We saw House of Flying Daggers (beautiful, slightly enarmoured of it's own beauty, one of those hopelessly hopeless romances) last weekend, and we'll see Sideways tonight. Then we'd better get to Million Dollar Baby and Hotel Rwanda before they're gone. I will be extremely put out if The Aviator wins Best Picture, ditto Best Actor. The only reason it isn't a better movie is that DiCaprio isn't better in it (my dad thinks it's the best he's ever done, but he's not quite right for the role, and I'm inclined to agree - I didn't find the character sufficiently compelling, and that's all in the acting). So far Finding Neverland is the best I've seen, but I haven't seen everything. Anyway. I have to go in a couple of minutes, but I'd like to say that House of Flying Daggers was certainly better than the last of these martial arts ballet movies to hit it big. Not nearly as boring or irritating as Hero. I don't have much patience for hopeless romance, and I though the underground movement plot could have been more interesting, but then I have weakness for underground movement stories. I also adore revelation scenes. (If I was an author, my fans could compare the grand revelations and secret identities in each and every book I wrote, because there would surely be one! Or two, or six, or eigth.) My favorite was the "revelation" that was totally not shocking because I'd spent the whole movie astounded that they actually expected me to believe the pretense. (Not that I saw through anything. I was too busy trying to believe the basic premise.) Anyway. I'm rambling, and any minute now my dad is going to expect me to leave. ~Erin, 6:24 PM Comments: Post a Comment