Virtual Dust
Virtual Dust


Salli's Messy Little Blog (Guaranteed 100% Non-allergenic)

Monday, December 13, 2004
This is more like it.
It snowed today. Lots and lots of fluffy white snow. ::beams::

Didn't really stick much, for all it was snowing at 6:15 in the morning, and kept at it until lunch time. (I know this because I was awake then. Going places.

I'm going to the dentist tomorrow (why I thought 11:30 was a good time to go to the dentist, I don't know - I'm going to have a big breakfast, or something), and so I am flossing my teeth. I don't usually floss my teeth when it is probable that I'll eat something in the next hour (I will, in fact, have a snack as soon as I am finished), but the answer you give to the flossing question should always be "yesterday," so the dentist doesn't start to get worried. And if I wait until bedtime I tend to forget.

Just thought I'd share.

Movie reviews. I said I'd do movie reviews.

Alexander really should have been better. It starred Colin Farrell, and I tried really hard to enjoy it. Of course, it was an Oliver Stone picture, so I don't suppose I should have expected much. (Not a big fan.) It was interesting, and worth watching, and there were many compelling scenes and great moments. (The entry into Babylon was beautiful.) But great moments do not a movie make. It was extremely episodic, and whatever story was supposed to tie it together was muddled and insufficient to the purpose. And I didn't even have much fun watching Colin Farrell, because the blonde look just isn't as attractive.

Last night the same group of us saw Ocean's Twelve. (We were busy this past weekend!) It was enormously entertaining. A movie with George Clooney, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Andy Garcia, Don Cheadle, some actors whose names escape me for a moment, and some actors who I'd better not list because you're not supposed to know they're it it had darn well better be entertaining. They're obviously having a good time, and so the audience does, too. There's this great part where the Julia Roberts character... but that'd be giving it away.

What wouldn't be giving it away would be to say that it's rather muddled, and the surprises in this one rely mostly on just not showing and telling the audience things, which is just too easy to do in a film. (I'll concede that truly startling twists would be a challenge, since we expect there to be twists, after Eleven.) We spent at least fifteen minutes trying to sort out what they think they're telling us happened, and if it could possibly make sense that isn't very contrived, before moving on to college politics and what's the matter with the Star Wars prequels.

The verdict: If you're only picking one, watch Ocean's Twelve. It's absolutely worth the price of a ticket. You might as well see Alexander, too, but don't feel like you've missed anything if you have to wait and rent it.

Yikes, I just remembered where I've seen the guy who plays the French thief in Ocean's Twelve. I think I'll keep it to myself so that Sarah can watch the film uncontaminated.

Next time we'll talk about Why Congregational Meetings Are Actually Interesting. I bet you can't wait.

~Erin, 7:44 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


Salli's most recent mood

Quick Links:
Sarah - Jeni
Kat - Rayne
Heather - Eri


ice shadow flower by Sarah
This page is powered by Blogger. Is yours?