The internet doesn't like me. Every time I'm determined to post a blog, do some work, and start getting caught up, my connection is slow if not outright dead. Argh. Today Reformation Day actually happened to be a Sunday, though of course we would have celebrated it in any case. Half my Sunday school kids were high on Halloween candy (the truly hyper one didn't attend, which was probably just as well), the bell choir played (I managed to wear red anyway, with my silk shirt on top of my black t-shirt), and communion took forever and a day. It got me thinking about past Reformations. The first I definitely remember was the first time Sarah and I acolyted. It was treated as an exceptionally high festival that year, all in white (rather than the more common red), and we processed for the gospel. (Not someone one does often - the Bible from the lecturn is heavy.) That was the year before we got the new acolyte robes, and the oil candles and candle lighters. I remember I had been sick, so Sarah had to carry the Bible. I don't remember what I did. They always did think it was clever to have us acolyte together. Then there were Reformation services at Faith, at school. One could wear red, but it didn't matter under the choir robe, and we always had a cool song to sing. Last year we all got little gold keychains - a triangle that wraps around the key ring - and I remember the santuary being full. Reformation in the Lutheran church always corresponded to Stewardship Sunday in the Episcopal church on campus, which we always thought was in rather bad taste. I sang in the choir on Reformation for three years - even the first - it was four because I was in Croatia in 2002. Catholics doesn't celebrate Reformation, for some reason. ;) I have now completed what is probably the only decent lesson in the entire Augsburg Sunday school curriculum. (I haven't read the rest, but it was the first good one so far.) I don't think I'll agree to do this next term - the curriculum is bad, there isn't enough time for a proper lesson, it interferes with bell choir, and I'd really like to attend adult classes for once in my life. ~Erin, 2:41 PM Comments: Post a Comment