Today I have a story for you. It involved myself, my parents, Kat's mother, lots of people from church, and a bunch of canoes. Only some of us capsized. First off, let me say that putting me, my mom, and Kathy in one canoe was a bad idea. Letting my mom steer was an even worse idea. Fortunately we didn't carry on in this matter very long before they made my mom get out and switch with Mr. Walsh. I think Thor got tired of watch us go in half circles (turning around completely was a problem) and running into the bank. Thor is in his seventies, and a champion kayaker, or something. I don't know the specifics, I just know he makes the rest of us look really sad. I mean, I'm 22. I should be able to keep up with someone his age. But back to the story. Now, Mr. Walsh is good at steering, but the water was low and therefore apt to be hard to navigate, and there was this really enormous tree branch at about head height, and we ran into it. Ducking seemed sensible, but apparently the thing is not to duck to the side. (I'd have hit it otherwise, but whatever.) At about this point the canoe decided it didn't like us anymore, and we all got rather wet. Kat's mom was in up to her chin, holding on to the branch (at that point it became a convenient branch) to stay up in the current, and I went after the paddle. It may have looked like I was going after the canoe, but it was really the paddle I wanted. Those things are hard to find if they get away, and it wasn't like I could stop the canoe by myself, anyway. It took us a while to get going, due to the fact that we couldn't lift the canoe to get the water out until some guys came by to help out. (Even then it was tough - heavy canoe + canoe worth of water = impossible to move.) And then there were all the times we had to get out and portage the thing, though by that point we were all wet anyway. At least it was an adventure, right? Right? I'm already sore all over - I hate to think what tomorrow will be like. My hands are dry, and my feet did not appreciate three hours of wet shoes. I had to wash my hair for the second time in 24 hours, which isn't good for it. Also I didn't get to clean my room like I planned. I don't think Kat's mom is going to listen the next time we try to talk her into something. ~Erin, 7:29 PM Comments: Post a Comment