Virtual Dust
Virtual Dust


Salli's Messy Little Blog (Guaranteed 100% Non-allergenic)

Thursday, September 23, 2004
This is just silly.
So, I was looking though the digital guide thing for something to watch while trying to stay awake (8:00 is just too early to go to bed), and I saw something that said Cinderella, 1965, with a Rogers and Hammerstein score, and I thought "oh, I think I remember seeing that, it's cute," so I flipped to the channel. Now, let's be clear that it's supposed to be
this movie. All the information, up to the number of minutes, is for that movie.

But, no. It's this movie. Now, I have nothing against remakes. And I have nothing against putting people of other-than-European descent in a European fairy tale. I mean, if Cinderella is Brandy and her step-mother is Bernadette Peters, what the heck, they updated it. If the step-sisters are different races, maybe they had different fathers. Sometimes folks' skin tones don't match their parents'. But how can Whoopi Goldberg and some white guy (actually I recognize the actor, but I don't imagine his name would mean more to you than it would to me) have a Filipino son? I mean, you don't go around adopting crown princes. That's just silly.

Multi-cultrualism for the sake of multi-cultrualism, done without applying common sense, is just... irritating. You can't get lost in the story when it's constantly jarring. (I mean, to watch Cinderella you already have to accept wicked step-mothers, fairy godmothers, and the complete inability of people to recognize each other in fancy dress. I don't think I can handle genetic impossibilities, too.)

Just had to get that off my shoulders.

~Erin, 8:53 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


Salli's most recent mood

Quick Links:
Sarah - Jeni
Kat - Rayne
Heather - Eri


ice shadow flower by Sarah
This page is powered by Blogger. Is yours?