I guess it's a good kind of busy. This just in: Senior Week turns out not to be boring. Not the responsibility of the class committee, however. A rundown of my week, actual and anticipated, in case anyone cares. Sunday Reception behind the president's house (Er, I think it's a cottage, technically speaking.), followed by a "picnic" dinner of hamburgers, hotdogs, and accompaniments. I had a hotdog. Then, we sat around and talked about doing things but didn't actually leave the room. Monday Monday lunch was a "barbecue" on the chapel lawn, with great hamburgers and no vegetarian options. Oddly enough this did not phase my roommate, who made a cheese and potato chip sandwich. ::shudders:: Then, the senior canoe trip. Heather and I were in one canoe with (thankfully) her in the back steering. My sense of direction problems extend to canoe driving. Question: Is rowing a canoe with alchohol in hand a possible DUI? Too bad there weren't any cops on that river to ask. It was a lovely afternoon, with the sun out and nice breezes along the water, and the scenery was beautiful. I was bored by about mile five, however, and there were seven. It was political science dinner night, which was very nice. They made us steak and salad and potatos and corn and way too many appetizers. And dessert and alchoholic beverages. Plus we got to chat with professors and classmates, and miscellaneous faculty kids. All in all a pleasant evening, although I ate too much. Afterwards, we went out and rented Love, Actually (we had a free rental and that was the best option), watched it, and crashed. Monday was a good day. Tuesday Tuesday was inflatable games day, only it rained so there's no telling if they used them. I didn't really care to find out. Lunch was at the parish house, way out of the way, but it was catered by folks who really know how to cook, so it was totally worth the walk. Hard to say whether or not it was worth being holed up in the house and on the porch with half the senior class during a massive thunder storm. Fortunately the rain didn't last longer than our ability to stand each other in close proximity. In the afternoon I had coffee with my advisor, which was enjoyable as always. :) Tuesday dinner would have been a picnic, too, only they moved it to the rainsite. It was chicken on buns, with accompaniments. The only thing they haven't severed on buns this week is barbecue, and that will be Thursday. Tuesday night Sarah, Heather and I went out to see a movie. It ended up being Laws of Attraction (the only other option was Troy, which was too long for our schedules), which was fun if not exactly the best movie of 2004. Then, we held the final EEP in the chapel, and all got very depressed. ::sniff:: Today - Wednesday Today would have been Senior-Faculty softball, only the rain demolished the softball field so we were spared having to take shuttles to get at lunch. The interesting stuff starts this evening, with a Senior-Faculty reception followed by the Senior-Faculty dinner, followed by a formal dance. (The dance is a bit latter, presumbaly to give them time to clear the tables out of the Great Hall.) My major accomplishment for the day was closing my bank account. Upcoming Events... Thursday Mostly it's "parents arriving day" for folks flying in from a distance. And we have commencement rehearsal, cap and gown pick-up, and that barbecue. Grades will finally be up, as well. My mom probably won't come up here before going to her hotel, since she'll have to be very early Friday morning. We've also scheduled a final Pealers for Thursday afternoon, which I'm looking forward to. Friday Parents and formal events take over. I spend the morning getting inducted into societies with greek letters, then there's baccalaureate and department receptions, and a fancy dinner. My mom will drive in from her hotel, my dad will come up from home as early as he can make it, then we'll load the van and he'll take as much stuff home as posisble. Saturday Commencement itself is at 10:30. My mom will still be up here, and my dad will return with Sam. Pray it doesn't rain. No, really, I mean it. If it rains all sorts of people who've traveled long distances to be here won't fit in the gym. My family will be okay since only my immediate family lives close enough to come, but most of my friends would be in trouble. And, besides, the outdoor site is beautiful while the indoor site is decidedly not. Ought I to share who the commencement speaker is? I don't think it's terribly exciting, but I suspect some of you of being Republicans, so maybe you would. After commencement, there is lunch and then we pack and leave. Only I'm sure it won't be nearly that simple. Well, that's that. Senior Week is busy, but it's mostly good busy. I don't know what to wear to all these things, and I really don't know what to pack. I also don't know if I'm going to camp (I think yes, but it starts the 30th...), or really anything about the rest of my life. I barely know what's going on this weekend, and it's hardly set in stone. But it's a beautiful day, and I have cheese spread and hard lemonade in the refridgerator. That's enough for now, at least. ~Erin, 3:33 PM Comments: Post a Comment