This just takes the cake. For reasons unknown, apparently it is no longer possible to log in to the Macs in the tower with a password longer than eight characters. The nice people at Helpline don't really believe me when I tell them I've been logging in with passwords much longer than that for months. And I am not comfortable having such a short password on an account that has access to my most private email account, lots of important files, and newspaper folders where someone could do serious damange. I'm listed as webmaster, and therefore a target if anyone wanted access. So, aside from the fact that I have no clue how, or if, the paper is ever going to go online today, I've just spent nearly an hour in very futile attempts to fix the problem. I can only change my password at certain locations, and this isn't one of them, even if I wanted to change my password, which always causes so much trouble with my email and other things on my laptop. This, my friends, is what comes from an IT department that thinks it's fun to change the server names every once in a while, requiring the remapping of countless computers and chaos across campus every singe time they do it. My laptop does not appreciate changing the mapping (it's really hard to do, if I want to keep the letter names), and I don't appreciate having to spend my non-existant free time coping with the inevitable problems. Of course, if Pagemaker wasn't Mac-only software, it wouldn't be a problem. We could all access files through PCs, which handle these disturbances at lot better. I'm well on the road to being rabidly anti-Mac. I used to prefer PCs for practical reasons, but it's getting personal... ~Erin, 11:50 AM Comments: Post a Comment