Virtual Dust
Virtual Dust


Salli's Messy Little Blog (Guaranteed 100% Non-allergenic)

Wednesday, September 24, 2003
Hey, look, Salli can wear makeup...The real thing has to be dry cleaned.
Except the instructions are very specific that it absolutely must be spot cleaned, and we can't find a place in town that will admit to doing it. And, believe me, after all the competitions I've worn this dress in, it needs to be cleaned. (Actually, the real problem is that one has to wear lots of deodorant—and it's a very dark dress, so it starts to show...)

Why, yes, this would be the "Salli at a dance competition" doll. Honest feedback would be very much appreciated—there's something funny, but I'm not sure what. Maybe it's just me. I'm working on a version with a fuller skirt—because, after completing the doll, I concluded that the skirt is a good dealer fuller than that—but I don't know when I'll be able to finish or upload it.

Particularly, this would be me, at a dance competition, about to do the foxtrot. Why? If it were waltz, I'd be smiling sweetly, or if it were tango, I'd be scowling (or trying to look serious—I only scowl well when I'm really put out). I suppose it could techinically be quickstep, but viennese waltz is out because it's courtly and elegant. Foxtrot, on the other hand, is classy, with a bit of sparkle. A sneakly half smile would be appropriate while waiting for the music to start.

As for the doll itself... well, it comes fairly close to the dress. Last I heard, the dress was making the rounds of the dry cleaners at home, so it wasn't in my closet to get a look at the decoration. Sure, I've worn the thing a million times, but I don't get to look at myself wearing it. I approximated my silver latin shoes (proper smooth/standard shoes wouldn't have an open toe, or sides) to the best of my ability—metal jewelry and decoration I can handle, but shiny silver shoes are tough. Note the black heel, which is entirely authentic.

Honesty does compel me to admit that my hair makes it into something other than a ponytail for one of these things about once a year. But a ponytail with my length hair was thoroughly boring, and ladies aren't allowed to wear their hair down if it's long enough to go up.

I also feel you should know that the back looks pretty cool, too. Although "back" is a relative term, because it doesn't start until halfway down my back, and then there's black lacing that someone has to help me tie. (Okay, someone has to tie for me, since I certainly can't do it myself, and if the bodice isn't tight enough the dress doesn't work at all. As it is, I'm forever trailing black ribbon...)

I suspect this is more than you ever wanted to know about my dress. But it's my favorite, and I love it to pieces. I bought it at an after-prom sale for $20 (it's original price was probably four or five times that), and Kat's mom hemmed the bottom (netting and all, which seemed very complicated) by over a foot. (The extra became a wrap, which is nifty even if I don't usually have occassion to wear it.)

Okay, so I'm dress-crazy. It's a dancer thing. I certainly didn't care about this stuff before...

~Erin, 11:08 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


Salli's most recent mood

Quick Links:
Sarah - Jeni
Kat - Rayne
Heather - Eri


ice shadow flower by Sarah
This page is powered by Blogger. Is yours?