Virtual Dust
Virtual Dust


Salli's Messy Little Blog (Guaranteed 100% Non-allergenic)

Monday, September 15, 2003
A break from complaining about my prospectus.
It won't last long, so enjoy it while you can.

Oddly enough, she even looks good against a white background. I've been dying to share this doll, and also oddly hesitant, possibly because every time I open the file my eyes glaze over and I sigh happily. I like her dress, I like her hair, and I like the column.

Verynn Silverstar has appeared before. She was my second doll ever, and you should read that post if you need a refresher on background. (I call her Verynn Tyrell and Verynn Silverstar pretty much interchangably, in case you wondered. "Silverstar" is her mage name, refering to her symbol, which is—surprise, surprise—a silver star. Wow, I'm good.)

To dispel any speculation, Verynn is a character I have had for a very, very long time. Probably before Sarah had a WC character named Star, and definately before Sarah had a WC character named Quicksilver. The penchant for silver, stars, ravens, and wolves must be genetic, or something.

You'll be happy to know that my characters very, very rarely wear red.

But I have definately veered off course. I was talking about Lady Silverstar. Actually, she would more properly be Master Magician Tyrell, if we're dispensing titles. This version of the character (Verynn doll number three) plays off of her name. I'd originally intended her dress to be silver-grey, but suddenly it was white, and it works much better. Highlights in other colors destroyed the mood, so the result is nearly monochromatic. Working with "white" is not easy! Yes, Verynn would actually dress like this, if she wanted to be particularly impressive. Typically she reserves such displays for calculated occassions.

I've moved Gina and Rielle into this world. Serene, calculating Verynn, and impetuous, mischievous Gina may seem to have little in common, but I suspect they'll get along alarmingly well.

It has occurred to me that a little more background might be appropriate if I'm going to continue making dolls of these people. Verynn and her magicians live in a city called Valus, the capital and population center of a kingdom that probably has the same name. Technically, the magicians were there first, and their tower (actually an entire complex) is far older than any other building. In deference to history (and the fundemental fact that these people have incredible power), they are entirely independant. They are not subjects of the king. (This relative freedom attracts magicians, and explains why there are so many people with an essentially rare gift in this one kingdom.) The Master Magician has a seat on the High Council, which governs the city and the kingdom (at least to the extent that the king does not—it is mostly still a monarchy). Although they are not formally obliged to do so, the magicians of Valus have always felt strong ties to the kingdom, and will usually work for its best interests.

In recent times, the tower and the palace have frequently worked in tandem. (The buildings are literally right next to each other.) Verynn's father was a good friend of the king (who, incidentally, aided and abetted the scheme that got Verynn her position in the first place—there's a clause in the regulations that makes the King of Valus the court of final appeal for disputed successions). At the time of the story, circumstances force a tighter union than usual, for the sake of mutual defence.

~Erin, 5:35 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


Salli's most recent mood

Quick Links:
Sarah - Jeni
Kat - Rayne
Heather - Eri


ice shadow flower by Sarah
This page is powered by Blogger. Is yours?