La la la... So, I'm almost definately doing an Amazing Grace camp next week with no experienced counselors and a Swede who arrives Friday or Saturday, and will barely be adjusted to the U.S., let alone trained. It's a good thing we'll have the Holy Spirit helping us or, really, it would be a mess. (Well, honestly, it will probably be a mess anyway—but a positive mess, not a negative mess.) Training is going much better. We spent today in Lancaster, doing basic Lutheran theology (in Lutheran ran and funded camps, we have to stick within certain parameters when teaching). Of course, I'm an ELCA Lutheran, so it's not exactly a stretch for me—but we have a couple of Catholics, a couple of Missouri Synod Lutherans, and a South African charismatic, and even us Lutherans needed to know our boundaries. The apple/Trinity analogy has been vetoed because it's overly simplistic, and the pastor in charge would rather we leave the mystery intact than screw kids up with bad theology. (Besides, it's not really possible to discuss the Trinity without abstract thinking skills, and most of our campers aren't old enough to have developed abstract thinking.) We also did a bit on different styles of biblical interpretation, which was really cool. And aparently we think the concept of "rapture" is silly. (I don't want to get into a debate if you don't—my Mom takes it quite seriously, and she's one of the most Christian people I know. But at least now I know why it's something that never came up in Sunday School.) We also created skits. I fully expected it to be painful, but it wasn't. We have workable skits for every theme, although they could all use tweaking. My group created two, which everyone though were quite funny. (I though they we funny as in odd...) The starfish in what I like to call "The Fish Skit" was particularly popular. Just for the record, the starfish, and the way it looks and moves, was my creation. But I didn't play the starfish, so I don't really get the credit. Since that doesn't particularly bother me (it's much less embarassing this way), it's all good. Anyway. Lights out is theoretically at 11:30, and the TCs are definately supposed to enforce it. In order to do so, I have to be in bed. But I've done productive online stuff—I did email, and now I'm blogging. I also responded to a couple of adventures at the Forest. I would have liked to do more, but it will have to wait for a later date. Oh, and the camp I'm doing next week will require being in Lancaster Saturday night, so I'll have less chance of internet access the weekend. With possible doctor's appointments, van pickup, and new staff arriving, you may or may not hear from me until after my first week of camp. (It's in *edit: apparently our schedule was wrong, so it's subject to change*. You are not allowed to randomly visit me during the week, so don't try. ;)) Wish me luck! ~Erin, 11:09 PM Comments: Post a Comment