It's been a while. And I've been busy. Very, very busy. Roseville went rather well. (I think.) I had a pair of nice hosts, good food, and (mostly) low stress evenings. The days were a different matter—first week, inexperienced staff, too high camper/counselor ratio—but everyone seemed happy with us at the end. My group was quite a handful (the oldest usually is), but they all wanted a second week of camp, so they must have liked it. I actually did go home Friday night, but I never made it online because I was busy. We got in late, then I was up by 8:00 Saturday morning. I had a million errands, and too much on my mind (particularly annoying camp songs) to sleep. Sarah and I were back at our base after dinner, and we drove to Lancaster, the base for Amazing Grace camps. We ate at Red Lobster, and I ran to the mall to pick up a couple of books. (I'm still re-reading that Elizabeth Peters series in front of Sarah, and it would have been disastrous to stall her just before He Shall Thunder In the Sky because I'd left the book in Grove City. Not to mention that I would have had to wait a week myself...) Then there was an incident involving a rental van locking up in the parking lot of the CVS (as in, key stuck, wheel stuck, engine off but power on locked up, not keys locked in), which I will not go into. We weren't on the phone with Enterprise for a whole hour. Conveniently, my team is in Lancaster this week, so we didn't have to go far Sunday morning for the early service. (I'd say about ten or twenty feet.) Lancaster is not at all like Roseville. There, we had an average of 50 campers to our four counselors. Here, we have 17 campers to four counselors. It's still early in the week, so there could be some growth, but it's unlike to double, which is what it would take to reach full numbers. After a week of overflow, a smaller camp is not at all a bad thing. Here, we do things in the afternoons and evenings. I've been swimming twice, and we're visiting a lake tomorrow and riding horses Thursday. It's also getting rather hot. (Last week was cool and rainy.) While it's not much fun to bake in the sun, being able to do games and nature activities outdoors is a distinct improvement over wracking one's brain for games that can be played in a sanctuary. I think I shall go to bed early and read. (And maybe work on plans for tomorrow...) ~Erin, 9:28 PM Comments: Post a Comment