They were already pushing their luck with the dress.
It's probably the third time in her life she's worn one, and she categorically refused to wear the cute little matching heels. If they hadn't found matching red boots, Christi would have worn her uniform boots which are defintely blue. Oddly enough, she has excellent fashion sense—but she thinks such things are silly.
But I'll have to come back to Christi. I should at least make some vague effort to write something related to me, instead of my characters. I really hesitate to say this, but I'm feeling much better, as long as I eat frequently enough to keep my stomach settled. (It's an allergy thing, which I will not go into. If you know what I'm talking about, you don't need a description, and if you don't, you don't
want a description.) Speaking of which, I should eat something...
Finally made it to the bookstore, and went to two in one day. I bought more books yesterday than in the last six months, if you don't count textbooks. A shop full of used books is not really the place for someone with a severe dust allergy, but I managed. (If I hadn't been feeling better, I would never have gone.) Buying books always makes one feel so productive.
Oh, what the heck. Maybe
you care about the random things I've been doing, but I don't.
Christi is the main character in my oldest science fiction story. Of course, because the story is so old it is very confused, and it needs some serious background building. (I have a good sense of how things are, but not the explanations.) In order to explain this doll, I'm going to skip much of the background I do have. This is the (very, very) short, abbreviated version. Christi's parents, along with several other couples, were dispatched by the exploratory wing of an interplanetary organisation to set up a base on a remote planet. They were intended to be in for the long haul, but a massive disaster in more civilized portions of space made it a lot longer than anyone had planned. Communication broke down completely, and, when the dust finally settled years later, much of the work preceding the collapse was lost. Meanwhile, back on that remote planet, most of the adults were killed in a natural disaster. (It isn't as contrived as it sounds, I promise.) By the time civilization caught up with them, the only survivors were the second generation, of which Christi is the youngest and the only female.
So, having grown up in rather unusual circumstances, which make everyone worried about her psych profile, the authorities set Christi up in the Academy. She's still a minor, after all, if only barely. (Her "brothers" all get fast-tracked through, or skip the Academy altogether.) Terran girls her own age are not Christi's idea of good company, and most of her classes bore her to tears. (She's one of those scary people who can do complicated mathematical equations entirely in her head, and they have her taking courses with her age group.) Drama ensues.
As for the doll, Christi spends her first long vacation with a friend (she has approximately two, and they're both teachers), and they're out seeing sights. There is general amazement at her enthusiasm and sense of humor, which had been dormant at school (minor angst).
For reasons known only to herself, Christi manages to be a stable, mature personality, and she adjusts remarkably well to new circumstances. None of this is my fault. She's one of those characters who insists on having her own way, no matter what
I'd like to do with the story.