It's been a long week. And it's only Tuesday morning. I'd intended to work all afternoon Sunday, but instead I spent several hours at a planning meeting for the Christian community. But it was a good meeting and (mostly) productive, so I don't regret the use of my time. However, I was suddenly in a hurry when I returned to my room. I had a review session, and our last dance lesson. (They really shouldn't schedule these things the Sunday before exam week, but they did.) Dance was actually a lot of fun, although the first hour of Cha Cha technique was rather painful. Then we insisted that we wanted to do something fun—but we couldn't agree what. Igor decided he was going to choreograph a, um, routine. With one remaining guy and nine girls. As completely ridiculous as it felt, it was really hysterical. We all spent most of the time laughing, and wondering what spectators might think. (Our ballroom is rather unique. Three walls are entirely windows, and it's between the dorms that house half the students and the main campus. The area isn't well lit, but the ballroom is...) Anyway. I was surprised when I could actually move Monday morning. I studied and had lunch, and went to a meeting about our senior exercise. (They've gotten rid of the paper option, which is a Momentous Change that doesn't effect me in the slightest because those of us doing honors couldn't do the paper, anyway.) I did stuff in the afternoon, and went to a gospel choir meeting. We (sort of) elected officers and then had a very, very long (but by no means comprehensive) discussion of some of the problems we've had this semester. I am cautiously optimistic, but not any more than that. My conflict resolution training complicates these things for me because it's frustrating when the other party doesn't reciprocate, and one is too involved in the conflict to mediate. However, I'm working on how I can use the skills I have, and develop new skills that work outside of a mediation. Some notes:Conflict isn't bad. It's a natural and healthy part of life, even (maybe especially) among Christians. Communication is key. If we cannot talk about our problems, we cannot come to the sort of understanding that will enable us to find solutions. It is vital that all parties recognize that other's positions are valid, and (to them) reasonable. Feelings, too, are valid, even if they aren't "rational." (Obviously faulty information can cause conflicts, but that's the sort of thing one can prove, and most conflicts aren't that simple.) Maybe you already knew all of that (although most people do not), but I really, really wanted to say these things last night and could not. (It took me a while to realize that when I shared that certain things were making me feel as if they considered my faith to be invalid—which is a very strong statement—what I meant and what others heard were different.) I have a political philosophy exam this evening. Aaaah! ~Erin, 11:14 AM Comments: Post a Comment