I really did say "Aaah."
But it was a half-hearted "aaah."
The film critic in this week's paper seems to have a personal vendetta against Identity. Aside from automatically making me want to go see it (I disagree with at least 90% of this bozo's opinions), the genius went and gave away the ending. Now, there was a disclaimer, but that hardly helped. I'm the online editor... what was I supposed to do, not format the article?
Admittedly I didn't expect this to be a great movie (I mean, have you seen the previews?), but my roommate and I were talking about seeing it this weekend, and the entire point of seeing it would be to see if I could put it together ahead of the revelations. (See an aside on this topic a couple paragraphs down.) And he gave it away! Aaah!
Furthermore, Rotten Tomatos actually gives
Identity a positive rating, so it is
possible that it's actually a decent movie. Only now I'll never know, because I can't watch it without knowing the ending. :P (Of course, one should note that Rotten Tomatos is not always a good gage. Any site that gives the IMAX movie
T-Rex - Back to the Cretaceous a positive rating is obviously suspect.)
Promised aside: I like "surprise" revelations only if they are well-excuted. Which should mean that 1- I'd already figured out most of it, but felt reasonably clever because it took deduction, 2- it was a surprise, but only because I wasn't trying, or 3- it was a genuine revelation, set up in such a way so that I
could have figured it out—at least in theory—but didn't. Number three doesn't happen very often. In fact, I don't know when it last did...
Now what will we watch this weekend? (I mean, I know the new X-Men movie is coming out, but opening day at the local theater is not pleasant...)