Virtual Dust
Virtual Dust


Salli's Messy Little Blog (Guaranteed 100% Non-allergenic)

Saturday, April 26, 2003
One of these days, I'll actually get to pay at the pump.
I have this talent. I never manage to go to the gas station without going inside. (Well, okay, it's only been the last three or four times.) At the Sunoco in town (which is the closest), they simply cannot read my credit card at the pump. No one knows why. "Okay," I said to myself, "if they can't read my card, I'll go somewhere else! So there!" I went to the BP down the street. It read my card just fine, then the receipt got jammed and I had to go inside to get it. The guy at the counter helpfully told me that all the other machines worked just fine. Great. So, out of (at least) nine pumps, I picked the one that was malfunctioning.

On the up side, I discovered that they have a car wash. Maybe I'll go through it before I go home in a couple of weeks. (The parking lot has been so full lately that I keep ending up in the back. Under trees. With birds in them.)

Last night, after finishing our linguisitics papers, Heather and I drove into town to rent a movie. Due to the complete lack of anything ressembling a decent selection of non-teen, non-"adult" movies, we gave up and chose Sleeping Beauty. The guy at the counter thought this choice was an odd. Which was his problem, because we were quite happy with our movie.

I thought it would be clever to continue the embroidery motif.  It must be popular in Kess' world. (Base by Sarah!) I mostly did young Kess here while watching the movie. (Laptops are such nice inventions, although admittedly I could have seen the TV just as well from my desk.) I'm rather pleased with the result. The head gear adds a cuteness factor, although it was a sacrifice, because I liked her hair without it. But she didn't look young enough.

I would say she's about eight. (I've never quite narrowed down precisely when this particular even takes place.) It's sort of an action shot, as she's breaking in front of her mother after arriving in a highly unladylike fashion. It is spring, and they are having a big outdoor party. Her fiancé (who is somewhere in his teens) is present, and she's about to dance with him. She is quite against the idea (not being old enough for boys yet), but her mother makes her do it. Kess has been betrothed since birth, but she doesn't know about it. Her people take arranged marriages (which only occur under special circumstances) very seriously, but they can't happen if the participants refuse.

So, Kess dances with this boy, then she shows up a while later, takes her mother aside, and informs her quite seriously that, when she's old enough, she's going to marry him—the implication being that she's going to do it whether or not she's supposed to. The adults present exchange knowing glances, and try to contain their amusement.

Today is a little campus-wide event we call "Summer Send-Off," which tradtionally falls the weekend when everyone has the most work. The campus has been humming since early in the morning. (People seriously get up early to drink.) We anticipate very little quiet, because our window faces the band stand, even if there is a building and a large stretch of grass in between. We are, in fact, far enough away that it almost sounds like real music rather sound at an overpowering volume. (The event, incidentally, is nearly halfway across campus.)

Heather and Kate and I are going to go see Holes at 7:00 (anything to get off campus!), then some of our friends are throwing a "Anti-Send-Off" party far enough away to hear oneself think. (At least I know I'll be awake long enough to work on my political science paper...)

~Erin, 5:09 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


Salli's most recent mood

Quick Links:
Sarah - Jeni
Kat - Rayne
Heather - Eri


ice shadow flower by Sarah
This page is powered by Blogger. Is yours?