"It’s like trying to put a tutu on a salt water crocodile." That's a quote from a Letter to the Editor by a distinguished (and very conservative) political science professor in this week's paper. It's stage four (at least) of an ongoing opinions page, er, debate. (We get these from time to time.) I'd dearly love to give you a link, but it hasn't technically been published yet, and, anyway, Sarah would get mad at me. ;) One imagines that the student who started the whole thing didn't know what he was getting into. Personally, I would be darn sure I had a strong position before arguing with this particular professor. I haven't been blogging because this has been a long and crazy week, and I generally lacked the time and/or the will to post stuff. (Especially since no one said anything about Arsha. *pouts*) Tuesday, I spent four and a half hours on an interview that didn't happen. I've since contrived to get in contact with Diane, and I'm pretty sure someone wrote down the wrong Tuesday. (I'm also pretty sure that someone was not me, because we talked about "next Tuesday," not a specific date. But, of course, one doesn't say such things to one's potential boss.) We're going to try again next week. (My brain may be fried after finishing all this work, but at least I know how to get there...) I was on a skirt decorating kick last weekend. Kess is officially Kessane Aissley (at least, I think that's how it's spelled), and she's technically the lady of the manor. She doesn't look the part because her kingdom was invaded when she was very young, and she isn't supposed to be alive. The invaders recognized that the common people were very attached to their nobility, and figured that the best way to subdue the population would be to get rid of anyone they might follow. They even think they've succeeded, and the peasants, used to taking orders from someone, seem to have accepted the foreign nobles who now run anything. But they didn't account for how far people were willing to go to protect their noble families (there are reasons why they need descendants from their noble houses, which I won't go into here). Actually, the main reason the invasion succeeded in the first place was that the kingdom was only just coming out of a major war, which had involved pretty much the entire army traveling great distances. The soldiers who survived to return were weary and distracted by the necessity of salvaging neglected crops, and the royal treasury was nearly depleted. Don't let the innocent farm girl look fool you. Kess is a very determined young woman, and, when the time is right, she's going to declare herself to the leaders of the rebellion that's been brewing for years. As the only surviving descendant of her people's first royal house, she can make the rebellion at once more viable and more dangerous. (Actually, she's already their informant in the region, but the only person who knows her identity is conveniently her fiancé. But that's another story, which I will not get into here.) Anyway. I didn't intend to write so much, but, although this is one of my more minor stories, Kess is one of my favorite characters because she's such an individual. She also has her own agenda, which she doesn't always see fit to reveal... ~Erin, 2:53 PM Comments: Post a Comment