Virtual Dust
Virtual Dust


Salli's Messy Little Blog (Guaranteed 100% Non-allergenic)

Sunday, March 23, 2003
Talk about boring...
I just finished writing my second "critique paper" for linguistics. As an assignment, it managed to surpass the uselessness of the first critique paper, which at least had the dubious merit of being the first time I'd done one of these things. The general idea is to follow a link to what may (or may not) be something resembling an article on a topic in linguistics, read it, and write on it... which basically means rehashing the article, then making up something about how it does, or (more likely) does not related to one's proposed research project. And the thing isn't nearly long enough to actually write anything useful, so it's an exercise in filling up space. Now, I know there are many freshmen in the class, but I see no reason to cater to freshmen who felt compelled to take a 300 level class.

It did really like the article I read (it's about
translating lingusitic variation, and the author seems to have a sense of humor), so at least it wasn't two hours completely down the drain. (And no, I wasn't working the whole time. Maybe half. Or a third. I spent at least half and hour psyching myself up for the last super-boring paragraph...)

And then, I abadoned my blog for an hour while doing housekeeping and nifty stuff at the Forest. I need to work on my attention span.

No cute illustration this time. Sorry, Robbie. ;)

~Erin, 5:19 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


Salli's most recent mood

Quick Links:
Sarah - Jeni
Kat - Rayne
Heather - Eri


ice shadow flower by Sarah
This page is powered by Blogger. Is yours?