I am definately dancing Viennese Waltz.
And (possibly) Quickstep. With the rest To Be Determined. (I am also capitalizing dances today.) Yay. It's going to be such a crazy competition, and I just shelled out twenty dollars to attend. Ah, well. No one ever said dancers had to be particularly practical.
I have decided that I like getting the essay topic at the beginning of the exam period, rather than two days in advance. One has to think quickly, select key ideas, and then run with them. There isn't any time for second-guessing and over-analysis. (One of those traits Sarah and I share.) I don't have to go crazy writing an orderly outline. At first glance, the question looked fairly specific, but I soon realized that it basically boils down to an unrestricted comparison of Machiavelli and Hobbes. I can't even limit myself by comparing them on something obscure, because I'm supposed to discuss the roots of their philosophies.
For me, there are two types of essays: (1) essays I don't
quite know enough to write, and (2) essays I know
way too much about. I am paranoid about organization. I know I
can write a clear, concise, and organized essay, but I'm never certain that I'm actually doing it. The first type of essay is easier, because organization is automatically tighter.
My midterm topic is definately in the second category.